Internet is a collection of computers connected by network cables or through satellite links. Internet is a network of networks. It is also known as Super Network. There are millions of computing devices that are connected to this network either permanently or for a short duration.
Internet covers almost every aspect of life. Here, we will discuss some of the advantages of Internet.
- Internet allows you to communicate with the people sitting at remote locations using web sites and applications like Facebook,Twitter,Yahoo,Google+,Flickr,Orkut etc.
- You can find any kind of information on any topic over the internet such as Technology, Health & Science, Social Studies, Geographical Information, Information Technology, Products etc.
- It also provides entertainment through various modes like online television, online games, songs, videos, social networking apps.
- Internet also allows us to use many services like Internet banking, matrimonial services, online shopping, online ticket booking, online bill payment, data sharing, e-mail etc.
- It is a very fast device and can perform millions of calculations in a few seconds while people can take many days to do it.
However, Internet has proved to be a powerful source of information in almost every field, yet there exists many disadvantages discussed below:
- There are always chances to lose personal information such as name, address, credit card number. Therefore, one should be very careful while sharing such information.
- Spamming corresponds to the unwanted e-mails in bulk. These e-mails serve no purpose and lead to block of the entire system.
- Viruses can easily be spread to the computers connected to the internet.
An intranet is a private network that is contained within an enterprise and allows you to share company information and resources among employees. This private network can be accessed only by the organization’s employees and is not available to the general public. It can include a wide range of information, such as company policies, internal documents, and project workspaces. Intranets are often used to facilitate employee communication and collaboration and can be accessed using a web browser or a specialized intranet client.
Differences in Internet and Intranet :
- Internet is general to PCs all over the world whereas Intranet is specific to few PCs.
- Internet has wider access and provides better access to websites to a large population whereas Intranet is restricted.
- Internet is not as safe as Intranet as Intranet can be safely privatized as per the need.
A software application used to access information on the World Wide Web is called a Web Browser.: A browser is a software application used to locate, retrieve and display content of Web pages, images, video and other files. The browser contacts the Web server. When a user requests some information, the web browser fetches the data from a web server and then displays the webpage on the user’s screen.
A search engine is a program that is designed to search for any documents or information on the World Wide Web or the Internet. A search engine searches documents for specified keywords. Information can be in any form of web pages, images or any other types of files. Some examples of the search engine are Google, Yahoo, HotBot, Khoj etc.
E-mail, in full electronic mail, messages transmitted and received by digital computers through a network. An e-mail system allows computer users on a network to send text, graphics, sounds, and animated images to other users.